Affiliate disclosure: In full transparency – some of the links on this website are affiliate links, if you use them to make a purchase we will earn a commission at no additional cost for you (none whatsoever!). Will this be a problem? This is how we manage to create free content for you. Please know that your trust is so important for us. If we recommend anything, it is always because we believe it is worth exploring. And, buy me a coffee ☕️
Are you looking for the best iPhone speaker docks? Or as some people call it, a “docking station”?
Last update on 2022-08-16 / Affiliate links / Updated prices and images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Perhaps you have read about iPhone docking stations with speakers and iPhone dock alarm clocks?
Your annoying neighbor says you need an android speaker docking, but you are not sure if that is the same as an iHome alarm dock clock?
Your young sister mentioned she was looking to buy the best iPod speakers, but she wants it to have an alarm clock, as well as an iPhone charger speaker…
All confusing terms, but in this article, we will review the best iPhone and iPod docking station with speakers, alarm, and charger, all in one!
But, what is a dock?
A dock is a device where you can connect your phone or iPod in order to reproduce music from it using the dock’s speakers.
The dock can also serve as a clock, alarm, and charging station for your device.
Let’s dive deep into this!
Auxiliary 1/8″ (3.5 mm) audio input x 1
Power Requirements – 100 – 240 VAC (50/60 Hz), 1.25 A
Auxiliary input for additional source devices
#3. Sony RDPM7IPN
Input(s) : Apple Lightning Connector, Auxiliary Audio input
Inputs – 1 x 1/8″ (3.5 mm) auxiliary
#5. iHome iPL23V2BX
- Dock Compatibility – Apple iPod with Lightning connector, Apple iPhone with Lightning connector
- Inputs/Outputs – Auxiliary 1/8″ (3.5 mm) audio input x 1
- Power Requirements – 100 – 240 VAC (50/60 Hz), 1.25 A
Bose SoundDock Series III has included drivers that are capable of pushing high levels of sound on from a small frame.
Their driver is designed to reproduce the mid-frequencies very nicely, making your vocals, guitars, and string instruments pop right in your face, ideal for home users looking for affordable hi-fi.
The bass sound controlled and rich, typical of Bose devices. You are going to love listening to pop, rock, electronic and bass-driven music on this baby!
This unit is sold in two versions. One has a lightning connector and the other one has the legacy 30-pin Apple connector.
This makes it possible for you to connect actual iPod/iPhones on lightning, or legacy iPod/iPhones or 30-pin connector, depending on the one you choose.
This device is designed to be used with Apple devices because of the dock’s lightning connector, letting you playback audio and also charge it.
However, other devices can be connected for audio-only purposes using the 3.5mm jack on the back.
There are no pairing capabilities since it has no bluetooth. You must physically connect your device into it.
Also, there are no alarms, clocks, or radio involved.
This unit is solely designed to charge your device and listen to music.
- Great audio quality, especially useful for the hi-fi home users.
- Small frame, so it can fit anywhere at home.
- The dock only supports Apple devices, no android.
- No bluetooth capabilities, you must connect our phone to it.
- No clock, alarm, or radio functions included.
- Weight: 3.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 7.4 x 18.3 inches
- Power Source: AC
- Compatible with: iPod, iPhone, and iPad
- Wireless bluetooth audio streaming with Harman TrueStream technology
- Auxiliary input allows connection to additional source devices
The speakers included in this JBL OnBeat Venue 30-pin dock
let you reproduce smoothly all the way from 60 Hz to 20.000 Hz.
Pretty much all the frequencies you need from the low kick drum up to the brightest cymbals!
EDM will sound good on these. Suppose you still don’t feel confident with its sound, JBL gives you the option to EQ the speaker to match the equalizer shape you desired.
Want more low end? You can boost it!
Want more highs? Crank them up!
The highs are present and the lows are punchy on this unit. It is indeed, the JBL sound.
This dock is designed to be connected with legacy 30-pin Apple devices in order to charge them.
However, its embedded Bluetooth technology lets you stream music from any bluetooth-capable device such as newer Apple devices, Android, and even laptops. Just pair them, and you are good to go!
Pretty much any device can stream into this.
It also has a good number of connectivity options such as an auxiliary 3.5 mm jack for other audio devices and also a component video out for a TV!
Unfortunately, there are no alarms, clocks, or radio functions on this device.
- Bluetooth lets you connect any device to this unit, like an android phone.
- The EQ function lets the user shape the sound of the unit.
- Video component out makes it possible for you to connect it to a TV and watch movies from your iPad!
- No other options besides listening to music.
- The 30-pin connector is only capable of connecting legacy Apple devices that are hard to find in today’s market.
- Battery Life (Approx) : iPod Playback: Approximately 10 hours
- Input(s) : Apple Lightning Connector, Auxiliary Audio input
- Audio In: Audio In jack (3.5 mm stereo minijack)
These speakers present a reduced frequency response that goes from 100 Hz to 10.000 Hz, meaning you will not be able to listen to the higher portions of the audio.
This is true because of its very small 6 -hm speaker framed on a portable carry-on enclosure.
So yes, it will be very small and lightweight, but the sound quality will be split in half basically, think of it as a radio-quality reproduction.
The small speaker also yields a higher amount of distortion when playing back at higher levels.
This dock is designed to be compatible with lightning-based Apple devices so that you can connect them and play music while charging them.[Also, it has a 3.5mm auxiliary jack that you can use to connect other non-lighting devices such as Android phones, laptops, and other devices. However, you won’t be able to charge them.]
The device can be powered with an AC adapter or batteries for full portability.
The remote control is included so that you can connect your iPhone and just leave it there while you control it with the remote.
Unfortunately, there are not Bluetooth options available so it can’t be paired wirelessly.
Also, no alarm, clock, or radio are included. This device is designed mainly for music listening.
- Extremely portable design, ideal for traveling or playing music on the road.
- The remote control is included, making it super easy to operate from a distance.
- Reduced frequency spectrum, making it not ideal for the most demanding users.
- No bluetooth connection available, only wired.
- Inputs – 1 x 1/8″ (3.5 mm) auxiliary
- Other Ports – 1 x Service, 1 x Power
- Compatibility – iPod and iPhone models with an Apple Lightning connector (eight-pin connector), introduced in 2012 or later
The Bose SoundDock XT Speaker Dock comes with its new Bose Acoustic Design that yields complete reproduction of the frequency spectrum on a small enclosure.
This device sounds good while it is small and looks fantastic.
In order to make it sound even better, Bose added their Digital Signal Processing algorithms to all the music being streamed so that its quality is always improved upon reproduction.
Lows will sound deeper, highs will sound brighter!
This device is fully compatible with lightning-based Apple iPhones and iPods.
You can connect them to the dock via lightning and this will not only transfer the music to the player but also charge your phone, all at the same time!
If you do not have a lightning-based device, no problem!
Bose has added a 3.5mm jack so you can plug your third-party player into this device and listen to music. No charging allowed when using the 3.5mm jack.
Bluetooth is not included in this device, so everything has to be physically connected in order to stream audio.
At the same time, clocks, alarms, and radio functions are not included. Sorry about that.
- Sound quality is superior to most docks on the market, great for hifi home users.
- Lightning connector is great for newer Apple devices.
- Very cool looking enclosure design.
- No bluetooth options, you must plug your phone in.
- No alarm, clock, or radio functions either.
- Flexible Lightning connector plays and charges Lightning-capable iPhone/iPod models
- Power – 1 Amp USB charging port to charge iPad/iWatch or Any USB Device
- Sleep to FM radio, iPhone or iPod with auto-shutoff, Wake or sleep to iPhone/iPod/FM/buzzer
- Auto Sync instantly sets the clock to iPhone time, Reson8 technology for great sound
This iHome iPL23 is capable of reproducing very convincing audio material from its small-framed design.
The sound quality of this thing is dashing because of the included premium stereo speakers.
You would not believe how good and loud it sounds by looking at its 6”x4” size.
This device is compatible with lightning-connector Apple devices such as iPhones and iPods.
When using the lightning connector, you can playback music as well as charge the device simultaneously.
It also has an auxiliary 3.5mm connector on the back in case you want to plug a non-lighting device such as an android phone or even a laptop for playback-only purposes.
Bluetooth is unfortunately not supported by this dock.
The cool thing about this thing, it includes a clock with a programmable wake-up alarm and timer. Also, it features an FM radio that lets you set up to 6 favorite radio stations.
So if you want to listen to something different than your phone, there you have some free radio!
The screen can also be dimmed if needed, especially useful when sleeping.
- Radio, alarm, and clock functions are ideal for users trying to have this device in the room, next to the bed.
- The good sound quality on a small frame
- No bluetooth capabilities.
- Not compatible with non-lighting devices.
If you are looking for the best audio quality, the JBL OnBeat Venue is the winner.
JBL has been in the market for decades, and their audio quality is top-notch and it simply can’t be beaten, at least not yet.
Supposing you are trying to find the most portable option, that you can take on a road trip, to the beach or camping, don’t look more, the Sony RDPM7IPN is the answer.
Sony’s super small frame design makes it ideal for portability. I mean it even has a handle for you to carry it as a lunch box!
Last, but not least, if your goal is to find the ultimate solution for audio, clock, radio, and alarm, iHome is the right option.
It has all you need in a simple, yet effective enclosure.
Hi, I’m Jennifer I’m a passionate singer and an audiophile from Detroit, MI.
I’m on a mission to help music creators to create fine music that help them position uniquely in the saturated music space.
Follow my blog for regular content :-)